Trails Carolina is a therapy program of wilderness for teenagers ages 10-17. It remain located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. It offers a unique approach to helping adolescents overcome various challenges, including emotional and behavioral problems, trauma, and substance abuse.
Trails Carolina’s program remains based on the belief that experiencing nature can be a powerful catalyst for healing and personal growth. Students at Trails Carolina spend their days hiking, camping, and learning wilderness skills. They also participate in individual and group therapy sessions.
Trails Carolina has received mostly positive reviews from parents and students. Many families report that the program has helped their children develop coping skills, improve their relationships, and positively change their behavior.
Table of Contents
Excerpts from recent Trails Carolina reviews
- “Trails Carolina saved my daughter’s life. She struggled with anxiety and depression, and we didn’t know what else to do. The staff at Trails Carolina was amazing. They helped her to learn how to manage her emotions and build self-confidence. We are so grateful for everything they did for our family.” – Sarah J.
- “My son went to Trails Carolina for substance abuse. He was in a bad place, but the program helped him to get clean and turn his life around. He’s been sober for over a year and is doing well. We are so proud of him.” – John D.
- “Trails Carolina is a great program for teenagers who are struggling. The staff is caring and supportive and knows how to help kids. I highly recommend Trails Carolina to any family considering wilderness therapy.” – Mary S.
Of course, no program is perfect, and there are a few negative reviews of Trails Carolina online. Some parents have complained about the program’s high cost, and others have said that their child did not have a positive experience. However, the consensus is that Trails Carolina is a well-respected and effective wilderness therapy program.
Pros and Cons of Trails Carolina
- Experienced and qualified staff
- Individualized treatment plans
- Focus on experiential learning and personal growth
- Strong emphasis on safety
- Positive outcomes reported by many families
- High cost
- Some students may not be a good fit for wilderness therapy
- Potential for homesickness and other challenges
If you are considering Trails Carolina for your child, it is important to weigh the pros and cons carefully. You should also talk to other families who have been through the program and get their feedback.
Here are some questions to ask yourself when deciding if Trails Carolina is right for your child:
- Is my child struggling with emotional and behavioral problems, trauma, or substance abuse?
- Is my child willing to participate in a wilderness therapy program?
- Is the cost of Trails Carolina affordable for my family?
- Do I have confidence in the staff and the program?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, then Trails Carolina may be a good option for your child.
Here is a more in-depth look at what you can expect from the Trails Carolina program:
- Admission process: The first step in the admission process is to complete an online application. Once your application has remain received, a Trails Carolina admissions counselor will contact you to schedule a phone call. During the phone call, the counselor will learn more about your child and their needs. If it remains determined that Trails Carolina is a good fit for your child, you will remain invited to schedule a campus tour.
- Program: The Trails Carolina program is typically 7-12 weeks long. Students spend their days hiking, camping, and learning wilderness skills. They also participate in individual and group therapy sessions. The program aims to help students develop coping skills, improve their relationships, and make positive changes in their behavior.
- Aftercare: After completing the Trails Carolina program, students are encouraged to participate in aftercare services. Aftercare services can help students to maintain their progress and transition back to their home life and community.
If you are considering Trails Carolina for your child, it is important to research and talk to other families who have been through the program. You should also visit the campus and meet the staff before deciding.
Additional tips for choosing the right wilderness therapy program for your child
- Get recommendations from your child’s therapist or other professionals who work with youth.
- Visit the campus then meet the staff before making a decision.
- Ask about the program’s philosophy and approach.
- Make sure a reputable organization accredits the program.
- Talk to other families who have been through the program.
Choosing the right wilderness therapy program for your child is an important decision. Here are some additional tips to help you make the best choice:
- Consider your child’s individual needs. What are their specific challenges? What are their strengths and weaknesses? What are their interests? Choose a program designed to meet your child’s unique needs.
- Look for a program with experienced and qualified staff. The staff should be licensed and experienced in working with adolescents. They should also be familiar with the wilderness and the challenges that come with it.
- Ask about the program’s safety record. Wilderness therapy can be challenging, so choosing a program with a good safety record is important.
- Find out about the program’s communication policy. How often will you be able to communicate with your child? What methods of communication are allowed?
- Be prepared for the cost. Wilderness therapy can be expensive, so be sure to factor in the program’s cost when deciding.
Once you have narrowed your choices, visit the campus and meet the staff in person. It will allow you to get a feel for the program and see if it fits your child well.
Questions you can ask the program staff
- What is your program’s philosophy and approach?
- What is the average length of stay?
- What is the staff-to-student ratio?
- How do you handle discipline?
- What is your aftercare program like?
Talking to other families who have been through the program is also important. They can give you insights into the program’s strengths and weaknesses and share their experiences with you.
Choosing the right wilderness therapy program for your child is a big decision but worth it. Wilderness therapy can be a life-changing experience for adolescents who are struggling.