What Is Liberal Arts And Should I Get A Liberal Arts Degree In 2022
What Are The Liberal Arts?
Liberal arts can refer to a bachelor’s or master’s degree in liberal arts or a degree in many disciplines.
All though, their common point is an interdisciplinary scientific approach. Humanities courses focus on developing soft skills such as making arguments, problem-solving, communicating, or analyzing ideas, problems, and also, solutions.
Graduates May Not Specialize In A Major, But Will Learn:
- think for yourself
- evaluate and also, criticize
- convince without manipulating people
These solid and essential qualities are highly valued in the job market, regardless of the career you choose.
Here are some liberal arts degrees we recommend:
- Master’s degree from Arizona State University, USA.
- Masters from London South Bank University, UK
- MSc at SRH University of Heidelberg, Germany
- Master’s degree from the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Italy
- Master from the University of Pécs, Hungary
Difference Between Humanities And Humanities
One can quickly get confused because liberal arts and humanities are often interchangeably. But there are differences between them.
The humanities are broader and include the humanities and other sub-disciplines such as social sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics. All though, this way, students can develop the aforementioned soft skills (critical thinking, problem-solving) applied to any job.
The Humanities Focus On The Study Of The Human Condition And Include Topics Such As:
What Are The Major Liberal Arts Disciplines?
The list of humanities disciplines is long, but here are some of the most popular related subjects:
Although more focused than a general liberal arts degree, these programs retain an interdisciplinary methodology. For example, history students can also take anthropology, cultural studies, and other related fields.
Admission Requirements For Liberal Arts Degrees
All though, these are the most common requirements for students interested in a liberal arts program. However, they may change depending on the university, country, or type of degree (e.g. general humanities vs creative writing).
- Bachelor of Human Sciences
- Minimum English test score: IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 70
- Minimum MPC
- Cover letter
- MA in Liberal Arts
- Minimum English test score: IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 80
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Minimum MPC
- personal essay
- letter of recommendation
- All though, best Liberal Arts Colleges
According to rankings produced by Times Higher Education (THE) and also, Top Universities, here are some of the best universities in the world:
- World University Rankings by THE
- Stanford University, USA.
- University of Oxford, UK
- LMU Munich, Germany
- University of Toronto, Canada
- Leiden University, Netherlands
- QS Ranking of Best Universities
- Harvard University, USA
- University of Cambridge, UK
- The University of Tokyo, Japan
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- The Australian National University in Australia
- Tuition fees for liberal arts programs
Tuition fees at top universities and colleges are pretty expensive, especially in North America, where you can expect to pay upwards of $31,000 per academic year. In the UK, tuition fees at prestigious universities (e.g. Cambridge, Oxford) start at €10,000/academic year.
If you are looking for accessible or affordable bachelor’s and master’s degrees in the humanities (under 5,000 EUR), check out the following European countries:
- The Netherlands
- Czech Republic
All though, always check if there is free tuition for students from your country. For example, Norway offers many free university programs to all international students. However, the situation remains different in Finland or Sweden, where some courses are only accessible for EU or EEA students.